City of Austin is seeking candidates for a position of Grounds Assistant on Full Time basis located at Austin, TX. Do not forget to review the job posting carefully before apply online.
|Job Title:||Grounds Assistant||Company Name:||City of Austin||Job Location:||Austin, TX||Job Type:||Full Time||Job Category:||Government Administration||Job Link Expiry:||2023-04-15||Posted on:||Jobstri.xyz|
About the job
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- One (1) year experience related to janitorial or grounds keeping services.
Licenses And Certifications Required
- If assigned to operate vehicles, must possess the appropriate Texas Driver’s License for those vehicles.
Notes to Applicants
The City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department ( PARD ) provides, protects and preserves a park system that promotes quality recreational, cultural and outdoor experiences for the Austin community. Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE for more information.
Purpose Of Position
The Buildings and Grounds Assistant position is a temporary/seasonal staff position scheduled to work twenty (20) hours per week. Successful applicants must demonstrate strong leadership, exhibit creative thinking, exercise good judgment, and have excellent communication skills. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Perform custodial opening and closing procedures of facility.
- Provide grounds-keeping services for the facility.
Application Instructions/Job Requirements
- Application: A detailed, complete application is required, and applicants must include on their Employment Record all experience (work and/or volunteer) related to this job posting – up to 10 years or more; this will be used to determine your base compensation. Employment Record dates must include month and year. Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application. Statements such as “See Resume” will not be accepted and a resume alone will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online application.
- Skills Assessments: Skills assessment(s) may be required as part of the recruitment process.
- Virtual Interviews: PARD may conduct virtual interviews.
- Military/Veteran: An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
- Driving Requirement:This position requires a Valid Texas Class C Driver License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin’s Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE ) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
- Physical Requirements: Tasks involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying or using a force equal to lifting up to thirty five (35) pounds. Must be physically and mentally able to work with participants adapting to a variety of conditions such as daily walking, hiking, climbing, standing, balancing, kneeling, stooping, running, bending, crawling, swimming, stretching and reaching in rugged terrain. Tolerate loud noise associated with enthusiasm and excitement. Ability to work outside in all types of weather and/or inclement conditions, and in confined spaces.
- Multiple Position Posting: This is a multi-position posting and multiple candidates may be hired from this recruitment. If you are not contacted 10 business days after the recruitment closes, you are not moving forward in the recruitment process and we encourage you to review our other City of Austin recruitment(s).
- Travel: If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- 90 Day Provision for Additional Vacancy: This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other divisions/work locations within the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. Decisions on assigned selection will be made at the time of hire based on the business needs of the department.
- Tobacco and Vape-Free Workplace: All PARD work site locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any PARD work site – including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicles located on the premises.
$20.00 per hour.
Variable – 20 To 40 Hours Per Week
- Programming hours vary at each work site.
- Schedule may include weekends, evenings, overnights and/or holidays.
- Monday through Fridays, between 7:30AM – 6:30PM.
- May be required to work weekends and during special events and programming needs.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Parks and Recreation
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location Various Austin Parks & Recreation Facilities
- Previous experience proving cleaning and maintenance for building interiors and exteriors.
- Experience with buffing, stripping and waxing floors.
- Ability to fluently communicate (reading, writing, speaking) in English and Spanish.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions And Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Clean building interiors.
- Mix, stir, and pour chemicals.
- Perform grounds maintenance.
- Perform minor building maintenance and repair.
- Operate and maintain assigned vehicles and equipment.
- Set-up and tear-down exhibit halls and ballrooms in compliance with applicable local codes and procedures, ensuring the specifications and needs for each event are met.
- Perform minor construction work such as erecting partitions, building or tearing down walls, painting, building or erecting storage shed.
- Perform routine administrative duties, complete forms, and prepare reports.
- Maintain inventory of materials and supplies, making purchases when needed.
- Handle and account for cash.
- Train new employees to perform basic job duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining good working relationships with others.
- Skill in learning simple tasks.
- Skill in operating power tools.
- Skill in lifting and carrying equipment or materials applicable to the assigned work.
- Ability to understand oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and write English.
- Knowledge of equipment used in janitorial, grounds keeping, or other related work.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to read and follow floor plan sketches and diagrams.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*). * Would you prefer to work North, Central, or South?
- The minimum qualifications for the Building & Grounds Assistant position are: One (1) year experience related to janitorial or grounds keeping services. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
(Open Ended Question) * The schedule for this position may vary at times. List any hours or days of the week that you cannot work.
- This position is temporary part-time position, that will be scheduled to work up to 20 hours per week. Hours and days vary based on the facility needs. The person selected will be required to work during special events outside the normal hours for programming needs; and also may be required to work evenings, weekends, & holidays. Can you work on the days and hours as noted?
(Open Ended Question) * This is a multi-position job posting and you will only be notified if you are selected to move forward in the process. Once the department is no longer hiring for this position, you will receive a notification informing you of such. * If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)? * This position requires a valid Texas Class C Driver License. Do you have a valid Texas Class C Driver license or, if selected for this position, do you the ability to acquire a valid Texas Class C Driver license by your hire date? * The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that External New Hires meet the City’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
- Select the statement that best describes your English/Spanish bilingual skills.
- Speak both English and Spanish fluently.
- Speak some Spanish.
- Understand some Spanish.
- Fluent in English only.
- Fluent in Spanish only.
- I acknowledge this statement
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents